3W, flexible set, 90 minutes, no intermission
Rose, an elderly German-Jewish New Yorker, is a screamer. Approaching the big 8-0, she has managed to scare away an array of caretakers with her overwhelming antics. That is until her busy psychoanalyst daughter hires Winsome, an African American woman, who proves to be Rose’s match. When Lydia realizes how close the two have become, she suspects Winsome of being a clever grifter, but are her suspicions based on truth, or merely produced by jealousy? Alternately funny, moving and disturbing, this play raises questions of trust, race, and family obligation.
“Dealing with an aging parent is difficult, and doubly so when the parent-child connection has frayed. That’s the central situation in Andrea Stolowitz’s heartbreaking new play…The struggle climaxes in a scene [that] leads to a soul-wrenching finale.”
– Don Braunagel, LA Times
“Stolowitz rises impressively to the occasion, with her unerring ear, depth of insight, and flair for humor and drama. Her intriguing characters are beautifully brought to life.”
– Pat Launer, KPBS San Diego (NPR)
“The three character drama fascinates. It’s a mystery, only you don’t realize it to the end.”
– Jeff Smith, San Diego Reader
- Newton-Conover School. Nov. 2014.
- Reading, Profile Theater, Portland, OR. April 2013.
- Production, Lehigh University, PA. 2012.
- Production, Everyman Theater, County Cork. Ireland. 2008.
- Production, Cork Arts Theater, County Cork, Ireland. 2008.
- Workshop, New York Stage and Film/Vassar Powerhouse, 2008. Directed by Rebecca Taichman. Featuring Adriane Lenox, Marcia Jean Kurtz, Lise Bruneau.
- Publication, Playscripts, Inc. 2006.
- Production, Rose Wagner Theater Center, Salt Lake City, Utah. 2006.
- Workshop, Long Wharf Theater Company, New Haven, CT. 2004. Directed by Gordon Edelstein. Featuring Frances Sternhagen and Kathryn Maisle.
- Production, Rivendell Theater Company, Chicago, IL. 2004.
- World Premiere Production, The Old Globe Theater, San Diego. 2003.
- Workshop, Last Frontier Theater Festival, Valdez, AK. 2002.
- Workshop, Ashland New Plays Festival, Ashland, OR. 2001.
- Reading, Prop Theater Festival, Chicago, IL. 2001.
- Selected as part of the “In Dialogue” Series with Athol Fugard at Profile Theater. 2013.
- North Carolina Artists Grant, 2007-2008.
- Critic’s Pick, LA TIMES. 2003.
- San Diego Playbill’s “Best New Play” Award, 2003.
- Runner-up, Princess Grace Playwriting Award, New Dramatists, 2003.
- Winner, Fremont Center Theater New Play Reading Series, 2002.
- Alternate, Jerome Foundation Award, Playwright’s Center, 2002.
- Finalist Cherry Lane Alternative Mentors Project, 2001.